The 2022 Wonders of Death Valley Landscape Photography Workshop
Instruction and guidance by TJ Thorne and Alex Noriega
COVID-19 and Workshops Notice
Due to the ongoing pandemic and in order to comply with state, federal, and commercial use permit mandates, workshop participants will be required to wear a mask when within six feet of other attendees or instructors. This can be as simple as pulling your mask up when within six feet of another. A hand-washing station will be available for frequent hand washing as well as hand-sanitizer and alcohol for sanitizing hands and equipment. You can find my complete Coronavirus operating procedures on my Terms and Conditions page.
Personally, I have been vigilant about minimizing risks to myself and my family. I understand that running and attending workshops increases those risks, and my primary goal is to keep all attendees as safe as possible while also providing a comfortable, fun, and rewarding experience.
Thank you for understanding!
Join TJ Thorne and Alex Noriega on a 2022 Death Valley Photography Workshop that travels through one of the most stunning landscapes of California. You will enrich your soul, connect to the land, and grow as an artist while also learning the most advanced techniques for capturing the highest quality images possible! This page is a general overview of the workshop. Upon signup, participants will receive an in-depth brochure containing much more information. You can make your deposit payment towards the bottom of the page. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions! You can use the contact page to do so.
Our Workshop Philosophy
We believe that the creative path is never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling. Our goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to visually explore and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into a new way of interpreting the environment through your lens. We believe that opening those doors leads to more personal and expressive style of photography that will help you to create work that speaks to your heart and that tells the story of you in nature. While we are committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner artist and invigorating your creative vision. While some of the locations that we take you to are known locations, we think that workshops should be focused less on getting the trophy shots and more about the development of your creative vision and creating personal and meaningful experiences.
- Session #1: January 19-23, 2022 - SOLD OUT - Contact me to be placed on the waiting list.
- Session #2: February 2-6, 2022 - SOLD OUT - Contact me to be placed on the waiting list.
- Moderate - Be prepared for hikes that may be 3 miles round trip and on uneven ground. Minimal steep ascents are necessary to get to certain vantages but are not required. The most intensive hiking required will be up and down sand dunes.
- $595 nonrefundable deposit is required to secure you spot.
Our meeting point will be Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley which will act as a base camp while we venture to various locations within the park. Sand dunes, salt flats, canyons, badlands, and mountains are our focus in the park. Our itinerary for this tour will be flexible in order to chase weather, light, and conditions as they occur. We'll use our experience to put you in the best possible position to make compelling photographs.
You will not only be guided to the best photography locations that Death Valley National Park has to offer, you will also be guided through the entire process of making compelling photographs. From in-field techniques to photo processing, you will be instructed on choosing the best compositions, how to best utilize different types of light ranging from subtle to dramatic, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and depth of field, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices—the whole nine yards! Learn master processing skills from Alex Noriega and discover valuable tools which help you to take complete control over the processing of your images. Instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated.
- Expert guidance to the best photography locations in Death Valley National Park.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- In-depth processing instruction including everything such as raw processing, blending exposures using luminosity masks, focus stacking, artistic finishing touches in photoshop, and preparation and sharpening for web and print. The processing session will be recorded for you.
- Guaranteed adventure with two laid back instructors who are eager to share their knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
What's Not Included
- Meals and Snacks
- We highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Travel and Accommodations
- Las Vegas hosts McCarran International Airport (LAS) and is a 2.5 hour drive to Stovepipe Wells. Los Angeles (LAX) is a 4.5 hour drive.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available for the workshop.
- A standard rental vehicle will suffice for this workshop, though a high clearance vehicle will be helpful. Once the workshop has started we organize carpools to and from most locations within the park.
A nonrefundable deposit of $595 will be required upon sign up. The balance of $1,200 is due 45 days (Session #1: December 5,2021/Session #2: December 19, 2021) prior to the date of the workshop.
After the deposit is paid, payments on the balance can be made at your convenience.
Cancellations that occur 45 days or more before the start of the workshop will forfeit deposit. Cancellations that occur within 45 days of the workshop will forfeit their full payment. There are no exceptions to these terms. You can make your payment below. After payment is made, a PayPal invoice will be sent so that further payments are simple and easy.
Due to the ongoing pandemic and in order to comply with state, federal, and commercial use permit mandates, workshop participants will be required to wear a mask when within six feet of other attendees or instructors. This can be as simple as pulling your mask up when within six feet of another. A hand-washing station will be available for frequent hand washing as well as hand-sanitizer and alcohol for sanitizing hands and equipment. Please read my Terms and Conditions if you are interesting in attending.