The 2024 Wonders of Death Valley Landscape Photography Workshop
Instruction and guidance by TJ Thorne and Alex Noriega
Join TJ Thorne and Alex Noriega on a 2024 Death Valley Photography Workshop that travels through one of the most stunning landscapes of California. You will enrich your soul, connect to the land, and grow as an artist while also learning the most advanced techniques for capturing the highest quality images possible! This page is a general overview of the workshop. Upon signup, participants will receive an in-depth brochure containing much more information. You can make your deposit payment towards the bottom of the page. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions! You can use the contact page to do so.
Our Workshop Philosophy
We believe that the creative path is never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling. Our goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to explore and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into a new way of interpreting the environment through your lens. We believe that opening those doors leads to more personal and expressive style of photography, enabling you to create images that you will be more connected to.
While we are committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner artist and invigorating your creative vision.
While some of the locations that we take you to are known locations, we think that workshops should be focused less on getting the trophy shots and more about the development of your creative vision and creating personal and meaningful experiences.
- Session #1: January 25-29, 2024 - SOLD OUT - CONTACT ME TO BE PLACED ON THE WAITLIST
- Session #2: February 1-5, 2024 - TWO SPOTS NOW OPEN!
- Moderate - Be prepared for hikes that may be 3 miles round trip and on uneven ground. Minimal steep ascents are necessary to get to certain vantages but are not required. The most intensive hiking required will be up and down sand dunes.
- $695 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Our meeting point will be Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley which will act as a base camp while we venture to various locations within the park. Sand dunes, salt flats, canyons, badlands, and mountains are our focus in the park. Our itinerary for this tour will be flexible in order to chase weather, light, and conditions as they occur. We'll use our experience to put you in the best possible position to make compelling photographs.
You will not only be guided to the best photography locations that Death Valley National Park has to offer, you will also be guided through the entire process of making compelling photographs. From in-field techniques to photo processing, you will be instructed on choosing the best compositions, how to best utilize different types of light ranging from subtle to dramatic, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and depth of field, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices—the whole nine yards! Learn master processing skills from Alex Noriega and discover valuable tools which help you to take complete control over the processing of your images. Instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated.
- Expert guidance to the best photography locations in Death Valley National Park.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- In-depth processing instruction including everything such as raw processing, blending exposures using luminosity masks, focus stacking, artistic finishing touches in photoshop, and preparation and sharpening for web and print. The processing session will be recorded for you.
- Guaranteed adventure with two laid back instructors who are eager to share their knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
What's Not Included
- Meals and Snacks
- We highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Travel and Accommodations
- Las Vegas hosts McCarran International Airport (LAS) and is a 2.5 hour drive to Stovepipe Wells. Los Angeles (LAX) is a 4.5 hour drive.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available for the workshop.
- A standard rental vehicle will suffice for this workshop, though a high clearance vehicle will be helpful. Once the workshop has started we organize carpools to and from most locations within the park.
A deposit of $695 will be required upon sign up. The balance of $1,600 is due 45 days (Session #1: December 11,2023/Session #2: December 18, 2023) prior to the date of the workshop. After the deposit is paid, a PayPal invoice for the remainder will be sent and payments on the balance can be made at your convenience
Should you need to cancel your registration for any reason, you must send a notice of cancelation to TJ Thorne Photography in writing, which will become effective as of the date sent (i.e., the date postmarked for standard mail, or the date/time sent for electronic communications).
- Where notice of cancellation is received by TJ Thorne Photography more than ninety (90) days before the start of the Workshop, any payments made can be refunded minus a $100 administrative fee.
Where notice of cancelation is received by TJ Thorne Photography forty-five (45) to ninety (90) days before the day your Workshop begins, you shall forfeit your deposit (for Workshops where a deposit is required) but shall not be liable for the remaining tuition balance. 100% of your deposit made can be credited to an alternative Workshop run solely and exclusively by TJ Thorne Photography within 365 days from the date of cancelation.
- Where notice of cancelation is received by TJ Thorne Photography less than forty-five (45) days before your Workshop begins, you shall forfeit your entire Tuition and no refund will be given, though 100% of your payment made can be credited to an alternative Workshop run solely and exclusively by TJ Thorne Photography within 365 days from the date of cancelation.
- If a cancellation ninety (90) days or less before the start of the workshop is filled from the waiting list, a full refund can be offered minus a $100 administrative fee. If you do need to cancel, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible so we can alert people on the waiting list.
- In the rare event that a Workshop is cancelled by TJ Thorne Photography due to unforeseen circumstances, you will receive a credit toward a future workshop. It is recommend that you avoid purchasing non-refundable airline tickets, and consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance.
By paying your deposit you are confirming that you have read and fully agree to the Terms and Conditions.