The 2021 Wonders of the Oregon Coast Landscape Photography Workshop
Instruction and guidance by TJ Thorne
December 4-7, 2021
COVID-19 and Workshops Notice
Due to the ongoing pandemic and in order to comply with state, federal, and commercial use permit mandates, workshop participants will be required to wear a mask when within six feet of other attendees or instructors. This can be as simple as pulling your mask up when within six feet of another. A hand-washing station will be available for frequent hand washing as well as hand-sanitizer and alcohol for sanitizing hands and equipment. You can find my complete Coronavirus operating procedures on my Terms and Conditions page.
Personally, I have been vigilant about minimizing risks to myself and my family. I understand that running and attending workshops increases those risks, and my primary goal is to keep all attendees as safe as possible while also providing a comfortable, fun, and rewarding experience.
Thank you for understanding!
Join me in December 2021 for an adventure along the amazing Oregon Coast. The Oregon Coast is known for its rugged cliffs, dramatic weather, and charming towns. Starting on the south end of the coast in the town of Brookings, we will have an open itinerary as we follow the weather and tides for four full days, shooting both sunrise and sunset and taking advantage of unique light and smaller scenes during the hours in between when possible. We will photograph some of the classic spots as well as lesser known locations that often get overlooked. While most people think of the summer as being beach season, photographers chase the winter storm systems moving inland which can create dramatic weather conditions all day long.
MY WORKSHOP PHILOSOPHY
I believe that the creative path is never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling. My goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to visually explore and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into a new way of interpreting the environment through your lens. I believe that opening those doors leads to more personal and expressive style of photography that will help you to create work that speaks to your heart and that tells the story of you in nature. While I am committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner artist and invigorating your creative vision. While some of the locations that I take you to are known locations, I think that workshops should be focused less on getting the trophy shots and more about the development of your creative vision and creating personal and meaningful experiences.
- December 4-7, 2021
- Moderate - Though most locations are very close to parking, be prepared for hikes that may be 3 miles round trip and on uneven ground. Minimal steep ascents are necessary to get to certain vantages but are not required. Access to some of the best views may involve mild climbing, being near cliff edges, or stepping over logs and downed trees. Be prepared for standing in surf for the best shots. Persons with mobility concerns are welcome, but may have to compromise on certain vantages. Alternative vantages are often available.
- $395 nonrefundable deposit is required to secure your spot.
This workshop is limited to 8 students.
While the workshop will have a laid back approach, I am dedicated to guiding you through the entire photographic process from in-field technique to image processing. I will instruct you on choosing compelling compositions, how to utilize shutter speed for the best looking water flow, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and focal points, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices. Learn advanced processing skills that give you full control over your images and discover how to make your images stand out above the rest. Instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated and with a small group size, you will enjoy a more intimate experience, having more time to work with me on an individual basis.
You'll get to enjoy the company of a fun-loving instructor who is passionate about photography, eager to teach others all that he knows, and who is looking to have a good time helping others connect to nature through art.
Upon signup, participants will receive an in-depth brochure containing much more information. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions! You can use the contact page to do so. I advise reading my Terms and Conditions if you are interested in attending. If you'd like to join the adventure, you can reserve your spot at the bottom of the page.
- Expert guidance to the best photography locations on the Oregon Coast.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- Processing instruction including my entire non-destructive workflow. I'll teach you how to have the utmost control over each part of your image, shaping the scene to create a dynamic and compelling photograph. The processing session will be recorded for you so that you can continue to learn at your own speed after the workshop has ended.
- Guaranteed adventure with an instructor who is eager to share his knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Meals and Snacks
- I highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the case that your trip is jeopardized due to unforeseen circumstances.
Travel and Accommodations
- The workshop will start in Brookings, Oregon.
- The closest airports are Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport (MFR) which is closer to our starting location, and Portland International Airport (PDX) which is closer to our ending location.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available for both portions of the workshop. Group rates are acquired where available and information will be included in the workshop brochure upon signup.
- A standard rental vehicle will suffice for this workshop.
A nonrefundable deposit of $395 will be required upon sign up. The balance of $800 is due 45 days (October 20, 2021) prior to the date of the workshop. Cancellations that occur 45 days or more before the start of the workshop will forfeit deposit. Cancellations that occur within 45 days of the workshop will forfeit their full payment. There are no exceptions to these terms. You can make your deposit payment below. After payment is made, a PayPal invoice will be sent so that further payments are simple and easy.
Due to the ongoing pandemic and in order to comply with state, federal, and commercial use permit mandates, workshop participants will be required to wear a mask when within six feet of other attendees or instructors. This can be as simple as pulling your mask up when within six feet of another. A hand-washing station will be available for frequent hand washing as well as hand-sanitizer and alcohol for sanitizing hands and equipment. Please read my Terms and Conditions if you are interesting in attending.