The 2023 Wonders of the Oregon Coast Landscape Photography Workshop
Instruction and guidance by TJ Thorne
December 7-11, 2023
Join me in December 2023 for an adventure along the amazing Oregon Coast. The Oregon Coast is known for its rugged cliffs, dramatic weather, and charming towns. Starting on the south end of the coast in the town of Brookings, we will have an open itinerary as we follow the weather and tides for four full days, shooting both sunrise and sunset and taking advantage of unique light and smaller scenes during the hours in between when possible. We will photograph some of the classic spots as well as lesser known locations that often get overlooked. While most people think of the summer as being beach season, photographers chase the winter storm systems moving inland which can create dramatic weather conditions all day long.
MY WORKSHOP PHILOSOPHY
I believe that the creative path is never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling. My goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to explore and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into a new way of interpreting the environment through your lens. I believe that opening those doors leads to more personal and expressive style of photography, enabling you to create images that you will be more connected to.
While I am committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner artist and invigorating your creative vision.
While some of the locations that I take you to are known locations, I think that workshops should be focused less on getting the trophy shots and more about the development of your creative vision and creating personal and meaningful experiences.
- December 7-11, 2023
- Moderate - Though most locations are very close to parking, be prepared for hikes that may be 3 miles round trip and on uneven ground. Minimal steep ascents are necessary to get to certain vantages but are not required. Access to some of the best views may involve mild climbing, being near cliff edges, or stepping over logs and downed trees. Be prepared for standing in surf for the best shots. Persons with mobility concerns are welcome, but may have to compromise on certain vantages. Alternative vantages are often available.
- $495 deposit is required to secure your spot.
This workshop is limited to 8 students.
While the workshop will have a laid back approach, I am dedicated to guiding you through the entire photographic process from in-field technique to image processing. I will instruct you on choosing compelling compositions, how to utilize shutter speed for the best looking water flow, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and focal points, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices. Learn advanced processing skills that give you full control over your images and discover how to make your images stand out above the rest. Instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated and with a small group size, you will enjoy a more intimate experience, having more time to work with me on an individual basis.
You'll get to enjoy the company of a fun-loving instructor who is passionate about photography, eager to teach others all that he knows, and who is looking to have a good time helping others connect to nature through art.
Upon signup, participants will receive an in-depth brochure containing much more information. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions! You can use the contact page to do so. I advise reading my Terms and Conditions if you are interested in attending. If you'd like to join the adventure, you can reserve your spot at the bottom of the page.
- Expert guidance to the best photography locations on the Oregon Coast.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- Processing instruction including my entire non-destructive workflow. I'll teach you how to have the utmost control over each part of your image, shaping the scene to create a dynamic and compelling photograph. The processing session will be recorded for you so that you can continue to learn at your own speed after the workshop has ended.
- Guaranteed adventure with an instructor who is eager to share his knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Meals and Snacks
- I highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the case that your trip is jeopardized due to unforeseen circumstances.
Travel and Accommodations
- The workshop will start in Brookings, Oregon.
- The closest airports are Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport (MFR) which is closer to our starting location, and Portland International Airport (PDX) which is closer to our ending location.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available for both portions of the workshop. Group rates are acquired where available and information will be included in the workshop brochure upon signup.
- A standard rental vehicle will suffice for this workshop.
A deposit of $495 will be required upon sign up. The balance of $1100 is due 45 days (October 23, 2023) prior to the date of the workshop. You can make your deposit payment below. After payment is made, a PayPal invoice will be sent so that further payments are simple and easy.
Should you need to cancel your registration for any reason, you must send a notice of cancellation to TJ Thorne Photography in writing, which will become effective as of the date sent (i.e., the date postmarked for standard mail, or the date/time sent for electronic communications).
- Where notice of cancellation is received by TJ Thorne Photography more than ninety (90) days before the start of the Workshop, any payments made can be refunded minus a $100 administrative fee.
- Where notice of cancellation is received by TJ Thorne Photography forty-five (45) to ninety (90) days before the day your Workshop begins, you shall forfeit your deposit (for Workshops where a deposit is required) but shall not be liable for the remaining tuition balance. 100% of your deposit made can be credited to an alternative Workshop run solely and exclusively by TJ Thorne Photography within 365 days from the date of cancellation.
- Where notice of cancellation is received by TJ Thorne Photography less than forty-five (45) days before your Workshop begins, you shall forfeit your entire Tuition and no refund will be given, though 100% of your payment made can be credited to an alternative Workshop run solely and exclusively by TJ Thorne Photography within 365 days from the date of cancellation.
- If a cancellation ninety (90) days or less before the start of the workshop is filled from the waiting list, a full refund can be offered minus a $100 administrative fee. If you do need to cancel, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible so we can alert people on the waiting list.
- In the rare event that a Workshop is cancelled by TJ Thorne Photography due to unforeseen circumstances, you will receive a credit toward a future workshop. It is recommend that you avoid purchasing non-refundable airline tickets, and consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance.
By paying the deposit you have read and fully agree to the Terms and Conditions.