Wonders of Oregon Waterfalls Landscape Photography Workshop - Spring Edition
Instruction and guidance by TJ Thorne
June 11-13, 2020
NOTE: Signups for this workshop have been suspended due to COVID-19 concerns. At this time, the workshop has not been postponed, but if you would like to be notified if registration reopens, please contact me and I will be happy to send you an email when that happens.
Join me in June 2020 for a waterfall photography workshop that will take us to some of Oregon's most stunning forests and waterfalls during the peak of spring foliage! The temperate rainforests of the Pacific Northwest will be on full display during this workshop as we walk amongst dense ferns, moss covered branches, and carpets of clover. The sounds and smells of these fairytale scenes will fill your senses as picturesque waterfalls and streams fill your viewfinder. Few places in the world have as much diversity and accessibility as Oregon and I am certain that you will leave with a full heart, a smile on your face, increased photographic knowledge, and images to remember it all by.
MY WORKSHOP PHILOSOPHY
I believe that the creative path is never-ending, highly rewarding, and self-fulfilling. My goal is to foster an elevated awareness of your surroundings, encourage you to explore and emotionally connect to the aspects of nature that call to you, and to plant seeds of creativity via thoughts and concepts that will open doors into a new way of interpreting the environment through your lens. I believe that opening those doors leads to more personal and expressive style of photography that you will be more connected to. While I am committed to making sure you come away from the workshop with great photos, the true value lies in unlocking your inner artist and invigorating your creative vision.
- June 11-13,2020
- Moderate - Be prepared for hiking 1-5 miles daily over uneven ground. Steep ascents will be encountered and some of the best shots require standing in moving water or along rocky creek shores. Hazards that you may encounter are loose rock and crumbling edges, fallen trees that may require stepping over or climbing under, standing in moving water, and slick rocks.
- $300 nonrefundable deposit is required to secure your spot.
This workshop is limited to 6 students.
While the workshop will have a laid back approach, I am dedicated to guiding you through the entire photographic process from in-field technique to image processing. I will instruct you on choosing compelling compositions, how to utilize shutter speed for the best looking water flow, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and focal points, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices. Looking for Photoshop instruction as well? It's included! Each participant receives free copies of my video tutorials. Learn my entire nondestructive workflow and acquire tools that enable you to take total control over your images. Learn advanced processing skills and discover how to make your images stand out above the rest. Workshop instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated and with a small group size, you will enjoy a more intimate experience, having more time to work with me on an individual basis.
You'll get to enjoy the company of a fun-loving instructor who is passionate about photography, eager to teach others all that he knows, and who values being able to help others connect to nature through art. I'd be honored to guide you along and show you some of the reasons I am so in love with Oregon!
I advise reading my Photography Workshop FAQ and Cancellation page if you are interested in attending. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions whatsoever. If you'd like to join the adventure, you can reserve your spot at the bottom of the page.
- Expert guidance to some of the best waterfall locations in the Pacific Northwest.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- Processing instruction including my entire non-destructive workflow. I'll teach you how to have the utmost control over each part of your image, shaping the scene to create a dynamic and compelling photograph. The processing session will be recorded for you so that you can continue to learn at your own speed after the workshop has ended.
- Guaranteed adventure with an instructor who is eager to share his knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
What's Not Included?
- Meals and Snacks
- I highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the case that your trip is jeopardized due to unforeseen circumstances.
Travel and Accommodations
- The workshop will be based out of the Columbia River Gorge in the town of Cascade Locks.
- The nearest airport is Portland International Airport (PDX) which is a a 45 minute drive away.
- Both hotel and camping accommodations are available for this workshop. Details will be sent in an informative brochure upon signup.
- A standard rental vehicle will suffice for this workshop. After the workshop starts, carpools will be organized from location to location.
A nonrefundable deposit of $300 will be required upon sign up. Balance of $475 is due 45 days (April 27, 2020) prior to the date of the workshop. Cancellations that occur 45 days or more before the start of the workshop will forfeit deposit. Cancellations that occur within 45 days of the workshop will forfeit their full payment. There are no exceptions to these terms. After payment is made, a PayPal invoice will be sent so that further payments are simple and easy. I advise reading my Photography Workshop FAQ and Cancellation page if you are interested in attending.